Maggie Stamoulis, Manager of the Surrey Hills Community BankÂ® presented the Surrey Hills Cricket Club Coach/Captain Tim Foster with a sponsorship cheque for $8,500. The sponsorship will be used to fund the installation of retractable training nets at Surrey Park. Our ongoing support of the Surrey Park Sporting club precinct continues with funds of more than $23,000 provided to the Cricket Club to date.Read more
Boroondara Youth Foundation
The Boroondara Youth Foundation, facilitated by the Craig Family Centre in Ashburton, is part of a statewide initiative that funds youth-led projects and aims to increase young peopleâ€™s connections with their local community. The Company supports the foundation financially (recently funding a professional facilitator) and by providing mentoring and advice.
We are helping the foundationâ€™s committee (which is comprised entirely of local young people) create a sustainable funding platform, by helping them develop strategies to raise funds from other sources.
Bendigo Community BankÂ® branches and youth foundations work with the Magic Moments Foundation to grow the youth of today into the leaders of tomorrow. In 2014, 101 young people from around Australia gathered in Kyneton at the Youth Summit. They attended sessions on leadership skills (like communication and team building), aspects of business (including financial literacy, investing, compounding and entrepreneurship) and social issues (such as social media etiquette and bullying). We awarded scholarships to two applicants from local high schools in 2014, and two applicants from local sponsored community groups.
We recommenced our Junior Observers Program in 2014, where four local Year 11 students attend our Board and committee meetings, and find out how a listed public company is administered. The program gives business students a solid understanding about modern corporate governance procedures and why theyâ€™re important. Students also meet key personnel from the business, to understand their roles and responsibilities.
We take the students to the Bendigo Centre, the national corporate headquarters for the Bendigo and Adelaide Bank, located in Bendigo. After touring this vast, modern building and how it operates, the students meet executives from different parts of the Bank, to discuss how they affect the work of their local Community BankÂ®.
Places for future Junior Observer Programs are available only for students from partner schools, and are keenly sought. For more information, please contact Juliann Byron.
We recognise the important contribution youth can make to our future growth and development through our youth programs. We plan to keep helping the young people who take advantage of our youth programs. Our Youth Committee assists the Board on issues affecting young people in our community. The committee reports to the Board, and the committee chair will attend Board meetings to report on the committee activities.
Sporting clubs receive approximately half of the funds we invest. This is a considered strategy, because Australians value sporting clubs highly. Sport and recreation provides a catalyst for community gatherings, from small functions to major events, where people play talk and share experiences (Department of Sport and Recreation WA). Most of the 100 clubs we sponsor are run by volunteers and provide a vital community function, adding to the social capital of our community.
We spread our investment among a variety of sports, covering all ages, gender and ability. We have invested over $1.34 million in local sporting clubs since 2003. Around one-third has gone to football clubs (34.6 per cent), one-third to cricket clubs (32.6 per cent), 7.0 per cent to soccer clubs and 6.1Â per cent to basketball clubs.
Weâ€™ve invested over $671,000 in community welfare groups and organisations since 2003. Around 60 per cent of these funds have gone to organisations helping people with disabilities, like Alkira, the Learning for Life Autism Centre, Basscare, Burke and Beyond and Samarinda Aged Care Services. The remaining 40 per cent went to other community welfare organisations, like the Boroondara Youth Foundation, Foundation Boroondara, the Magic Moments Foundation, neighbourhood centres and houses, and support groups.
Schools and early childhood
Weâ€™ve invested over $158,000 in 26 local schools since 2003, including government schools, Catholic schools, independent schools, primary schools, secondary schools and colleges, and special schools. Weâ€™ve invested another $24,000 in early childhood services like kindergartens, child care services and toy libraries.
Community groups and events
Community groups and events are another way we invest in our community, especially those delivering programs. Weâ€™ve contributed over $353,000 to community groups and events since 2003. Almost half has gone to Rotary clubs (45.5 per cent), while traders associations received almost a quarter (23.2 per cent).